We are currently preparing for the AICE General Paper Exam
Currently: Prepping for the Beowulf Exam and reading Canterbury Tales
CAREER SPEAKER SERIES
We are currently preparing for our AICE General Paper Exam in May and reading everything that enlightens us about the world around us and write balanced, informed essays to become global citizens! Below are videos, podcasts, and articles we have discovered along the way.
IN-CLASS INFORMATION GATHERINGS:
World Channel (PBS)-- 203 Videos!
NY Times- A Memory Shortcut, With a Little Help From Friends
Smithsonian Magazine- Four Things That Happen When a Language Dies
Finding Your Roots- https://www.pbs.org/video/episode-7-children-of-the-revolution-tfi2xl/
Religion & Ethics Newsweekly- http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/video/
Articles found by our volunteer Nicholas Surdel, senior at UF:
Political Advancements? Good Discussion, at least:
Zoology Literature, BEES:
Machine is a better doctor than man?
Science Fiction, mathematically supported:
BEOWULF WEB QUEST - 1st Section (Questions 1-10)
Extra Credit Documentaries to compare with Color of Water. Instructions below:
EXTRA CREDIT (100+): As a follow up to the Color of Water and a pre-cursor to our class being designated as AICE General Paper AS in 2nd quarter, please answer one of the following prompts (typed, 12 font, double-spaced). Use evidence from both the texts and video for full credit. Keep in mind. This is CRITICAL COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS, NOT SUMMARY. You can potentially earn a massive amount of points points if you incorporate the PBS documentary "Little White Lie" (link below prompts)
Secret Daughter Link
Prompts (place the prompt on your paper):
1. How do complex histories lead to multifaceted present realities?
2. Though segregation as law is in America's past, how do these stories reveal the lingering of history's precedents?
3. Both Ruth and Norma have tumultuous pasts. Discuss how both processed their histories and how racial identity intersected their lives.
4. Both James and June grew up with a sense of accomplishment with June becoming a journalist and documentary producer and James becoming a writer and musician. Detail their journeys and what they discovered about their mothers not just externally, but internally as well.
5. Ruth moved closer to the African-American community while Norma disassociated . Draw a conclusion about the motivations of each parent and whether or not they had the best interests for their child in mind. Consider the life trajectories of both mothers.
**If you want to incorporate the other documentary, "Little White Lie" for more than 50 points, it is NOW on Netflix.
All about Aice General Paper
POWERPOINT BELOW- USE THIS TO STUDY
Below are lecture notes, worksheets, and study guides (click on the resource you need)
Past AICE Prompts
2018 PENDING (Coming Soon)
How you will be scored
CLASSROOM HIGHLIGHTS & PROJECT HALL OF FAME
Here are some pictures that capture the life of our classroom & exceptional academic work!